Apple Pay FAQs
What is Apple PayTM?
Apple Pay is a contactless mobile payment service supported by Apple and major card networks (e.g. MasterCard and Visa). Apple Pay allows you to make purchases in stores or within certain apps by using your compatible Apple device.
Which Rockland Trust cards can I use with Apple Pay?
You can use any active business or consumer Rockland Trust Debit Card.
What devices can I use with Apple Pay?
You can use Apple Pay with your iPhone (iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus) or your Apple WatchTM paired with iPhone 5 or later. You can also use your phone, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 3 to pay within certain apps.
More information on compatible devices can be found on the Apple Pay site.
Is Apple Pay Secure?
Yes. When you use Apple Pay, your Rockland Trust card number isn’t stored on your device or given to the merchant. A unique digital code is created specifically for your device. Your actual debit card number is never shared by Apple with merchants or transmitted with your payment. Unlike debit cards, on iPhone and iPad every payment requires Touch ID or a passcode, and Apple Watch must be unlocked — so only you can make payments from your device.
How does Apple Pay keep my information private?
When you pay in stores, neither Apple nor your device sends your actual debit card numbers to merchants. When you pay in apps, the merchant will only receive information like name, email address, billing and shipping addresses you authorize to share to fulfill your order. Apple Pay retains anonymous transaction information such as approximate purchase amount. This information can’t be tied back to you and never includes what you're buying.
No. Rockland Trust does not charge a fee for customers to use Apple Pay.
How do I add my Rockland Trust Debit Card to Apple Pay on my iPhone?
- To add your debit card on your iPhone, open Wallet and tap in the upper-right corner.
- Click “Next” in the top right of the screen.
- Using the camera on your device, you will be prompted to position your card in the frame that appears on your screen. You will feel a slight vibration when your card information is captured and your account number will be displayed. You can also manually enter the card details then click "Next".
- Enter your card’s expiration date and 3 digit security code that is located on the back of the card, click “Next”.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- A notification will display that your card is activated and ready for Apple Pay. For security reasons, we may ask you to provide additional verification to add your Rockland Trust Debit Card to Apply Pay. If additional verification is needed, Wallet or the Apple Watch app will provide you a phone number to call. If your information is verified, you should receive a Wallet or Apple Watch app notification that your card is ready for Apple Pay.
- Click here, to learn more about how to set up and use Apple Pay.
How do I add my Rockland Trust Debit Card to Apple Pay on my iPad?
To add your Rockland Trust Debit Card on an iPad, go to Settings, tap “Wallet & Apple Pay”, tap “Add Credit or Debit Card”, then follow the same steps above for iPhone.
How do I add Apple Pay to my Apple Watch?
Open the Watch app on your iPhone, tap “Wallet & Apple Pay”, then tap “Add Credit or Debit Card” and follow the prompts.
I have added a card to my iPhone. Will it automatically add it to my iPad / Apple Watch or vice versa?
No. You will need to add your card to each device individually.
Using Apple Pay
Where can I use Apple Pay?
You can use Apple Pay at more than 220,000 locations. Visit the Apple Pay site for a list of participating merchants and mobile apps. When in a store, look for the Apple Pay mark or contactless symbol at the checkout counter.
You can also see if a local store accepts Apple Pay right in the Maps app. Just choose a location and look for the Apple Pay mark.
How do I use my Apple device to make an Apple Pay transaction?
To pay, just hold your device near the contactless reader with your finger on Touch ID. Or you can double-click the Home button when your iPhone is locked to access your Wallet and quickly make your purchases. To pay with Apple Watch, just double-click the side button and hold the display of the Apple Watch up to the contactless reader. A subtle vibration and beep on the device will let them know the payment was successful, whereas a gentle tap and beep on the Apple Watch will confirm that the payment information was sent. To make purchases within participating apps, choose 'Apple Pay' as the payment method and authenticate using the Touch ID.
What is a Device Account Number?
In your Apple Pay account, you'll see a unique Device Account Number listed under your card number. This new number improves security because it is only used with your device. You should use this number whenever an Apple Pay merchant asks for the last 4 digits of your card number. To view your Device Account Number, click on the info icon ⓘ in the bottom corner in Wallet.
Why is the transaction amount displayed in Wallet different from what's in my online or mobile banking account detail?
If you make an Apple Pay purchase with your debit card, the merchant may request authorization for an initial amount and send us the actual transaction amount later for payment. The initial authorized amount appears in your Wallet, but the actual transaction amount is deducted from your account. This happens frequently in places where:
- You can add a tip such as restaurants or salons
- There can be a significant difference between the amount that's authorized initially and the actual transaction amount (gas stations, hotels, car rental agencies)
Important : Keep track of your transactions and ensure you have sufficient funds in your accounts to cover the final payment.