At Rockland Trust Bank, we are committed to helping you have a healthy relationship with money – at any age. That’s why we provide engaging Financial Education programming to support you in the ways you need throughout the many stages of your life.
Our Financial Education Officer (known to many of your children as Ms. Money) has spent 10 years teaching elementary school children about saving, sharing and spending money through music, magic and dance in a show called Ms. Money & the Coins®. Since 2011, Ms. Money & the Coins® has performed 500 shows for over 70,000 elementary school children in Massachusetts.
If you missed the opportunity to have Ms. Money in your classroom, she now provides songs and activity sheets for families to enjoy and learn from at home! Lessons, songs and activity sheets are posted here and parent/guardians can sing, learn and laugh along with Ms. Money, Nick and Penny. Teaching your children about money can be challenging but Ms. Money can make learning about money fun!
Looking for some more Financial Education in your home or classroom? Contact Financial Education Officer at Julie.Beckham@RocklandTrust.com
Ms. Money at HOME Lessons:
Needs Versus Wants
- Lesson: What is a need? What is a want?
- Students: Go around and identify needs and wants in your home and then make up your own verse of “Needs Versus Wants.” It doesn't need to rhyme it just needs to be fun!
Give a Little, Get a Lot!
- Lesson: When you give, you feel good!
- Students: How do you see people giving in your community? Write a thank you note to someone you see giving in the community. Draw a picture, too! You can even make your own envelope to send it as a thank you!
Did I Really Spend it All?
- Lesson: Spending money is so easy, sometimes you forget what you bought!
- Students: What did Ms. Money spend her money on? Find something in your home someone bought for you and you haven’t used in a long time. Can you use it in a new way or play with it again and remember why you wanted it so much! Can you use it in a new way or play with it again and remember why you wanted it so much! Write a news story about it in our activity guide!
Make it, Save it, Share it, Spend it!
- Lesson: You did it! You helped Ms. Money learn about money! When you help teach someone else, it's surprising how much you learn about yourself!
- Students: How do you picture yourself making, saving, sharing and spending money? When you use money, it's good to have a plan! Use this week's activity guide to imagine how you would like to make, save, share and spend money.
Get Up, Dance and Celebrate
- Lesson: What better way to celebrate all you learned from Ms. Money than get up and dance!
- Students: Ms. Money has received hundreds of letters over the years and although most of the letters have commented on all you have learned, many have said how much you have laughed at Ms. Money’s dance moves! SO, this week, you get to relive some of Ms. Money’s most popular moves and maybe create a move of your own! Get up, dance and celebrate all you learned and accomplished! Parents/Guardians can download and sign certificates of achievements!