At Rockland Trust, we believe in strengthening the communities in which we work and live – in fact, this is one of our corporate promises. We know that our homes have become classrooms, libraries, and clubs for our children and we realize that reading plays a major role in the education of children. Reading Makes Cent$ is a bank-wide summer program that encourages children to read during the summer and teaches the value of saving money in a savings account.
- For students entering grades 1 through 8 throughout eastern Massachusetts, Worcester County, Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket. Can earn $2.50 in a Rockland Trust savings account for each book they read (up to 10 books) and track in the Rockland Trust Summer Reading Journal.
- Program runs from June 1, 2020 – August 31, 2020. Accounts will not be credited until July 20, 2020.
- If you do not already have a Rockland Trust Savings Makes Cent$ account, you will need to open an account. Please visit your local branch starting July 20, 2020 to open an Savings Makes Cent$ account.
Stop by your local branch drive-up or click below to download a copy of the Reading Makes Cent$ Summer Reading Journal!
Join us for virtual readings with Ms. Money throughout the summer
Reading Makes Cent$ Eligibility and Rules
- Students entering grades 1 through 8, throughout eastern Massachusetts, including Worcester, Cape Cod and Islands are eligible to participate in the Reading Makes Cent$ Program. (Relatives of Rockland Trust employees are eligible to participate.)
- Students are encouraged to read books as part of the program which runs from June 1, 2020 through August 31, 2020.
- All books read should be recorded in the student’s Reading Makes Cent$ Summer Reading Journal (which can be downloaded from our website or picked up at a local Rockland Trust branch through the drive-up), either by the student or the parent/guardian. The student should either write a short journal entry or draw a picture about the plot, characters or story line of each book. The parent/guardian should endorse that the student read each book by signing the reading journal entry in the spot provided.
- Starting, July 20, 2020 once the student reads four books and makes the corresponding journal entries during the 2020 program timeframe, Rockland Trust will open a Savings Makes Cent$ account in the child’s name, rewarding the child with a deposit of $2.50 for each book read. The student must read at least four books to qualify for the initial $10 account opening deposit.
- To open the account and qualify for the $10 reward deposit, the student must go to a local Rockland Trust branch, accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, and complete a Reading Makes Cent$ enrollment form and all necessary account opening paperwork associated with account opening. The parent or guardian will need to be a co-owner of the student’s savings account. The student will need to share their Reading Makes Cent$ Summer Reading Journal with the Rockland Trust colleague opening the account to receive the $10 opening bonus.
- For every book that the student reads between June 1, 2020 and August 31, 2020 he/she will receive a $2.50 deposit into the Rockland Trust savings account, up to 10 books or $25. After the initial four book threshold, students may bring in their journal and request a deposit in any up to the established threshold. All deposit requests must be made at the branch location where the student enrolled in the program. The program ends August 31, 2020. Accounts can be only be credited from JULY 20, 2020* until SEPTEMBER 14, 2020.
- Program, rules and eligibility subject to change at any time.
* Account opening and credit date is subject to change due to COVID-19.