At Rockland Trust, we believe in strengthening the communities in which we work and live – in fact, this is one of our corporate promises. We know that reading plays a major role in the education of children. Reading Makes Cent$ is a bank-wide summer program that encourages children to read during the summer and also learn the value of saving their money.
- For students throughout Massachusetts entering grades 1 through 8 in the Fall of 2021. Students can earn $2.50 in a Rockland Trust savings account for each book they read (up to 10 books) and track in the Rockland Trust Summer Reading Journal.
- Program runs from June 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021. Accounts can be opened or credited until September 13, 2021.
- If you do not already have a Rockland Trust Savings Makes Cent$ account, you will need to open an account and can do so by visiting your local Rockland Trust branch!
Reading Makes Cent$ journals are now available online and in branches!
Watch virtual readings with Ms. Money
Reading Makes Cent$ Eligibility and Rules
- Students throughout Massachusetts who will be entering grades 1 through 8 in the Fall of 2021 are eligible to participate in the Reading Makes Cent$ Program. (Relatives of Rockland Trust employees are eligible to participate.)
- Students are encouraged to read books as part of the program which runs from June 1, 2021 through August 31, 2021.
- All books read should be recorded in the student’s Reading Makes Cent$ Summer Reading Journal, which will be available online and in branches beginning June 1st. The student should either write a short journal entry or draw a picture that tells us what each book is about. The parent/guardian should endorse that the student read each book by signing the reading journal entry in the spot provided.
- Once the student reads four books and makes the corresponding journal entries during the 2021 program timeframe, Rockland Trust will open a Savings Makes Cent$ account in the child’s name, rewarding the child with a deposit of $2.50 for each book read. The student must read at least four books to qualify for the initial $10 account opening deposit.
- To open the account and qualify for the $10 reward deposit, the student must go to a local Rockland Trust branch, accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, and complete a Savings Makes Cent$ enrollment form and all necessary account opening paperwork associated with account opening. The parent or guardian will need to be a co-owner of the student’s savings account. The student will need to share their Reading Makes Cent$ Summer Reading Journal with the Rockland Trust colleague opening the account to receive the $10 opening bonus.
- For every book that the student reads between June 1, 2021 and August 31, 2021 he/she will receive a $2.50 deposit into the Rockland Trust savings account, up to 10 books or $25. After the initial four book threshold, students may bring in their journal and request a deposit in any amount up to the established threshold. All deposit requests must be made at the branch location where the student enrolled in the program. The program ends August 31, 2021 and accounts can be opened or credited until SEPTEMBER 13, 2021*.
- Program, rules and eligibility subject to change at any time.
* Account opening and credit date is subject to change due to COVID-19.